Saturday, March 21, 2009

Crazy Joe & The Generosity of Spirit

Crazy Joe & the Generosity of Spirit -

So, I have an Austin hangout. The Hideout is a combination coffehouse and indie theater. Long and narrow with exposed red brick as the whole right side wall and to the left a refrigerated display case featuring sandwiches of both the panini and croissant in all their varieties. In the front, is a small stage for the wannabe beat poet/acoustic performer and if no one is playing or speaking you can be sure that interesting music is being played at just the right volume. The Hideout is the epitome of hip cafe.

The is a really good reason for this. While there is obviously a lot of effort put into this establishment to create just the right tone, it is the city itself that helps foster the hipness. Austin is hip. Hipper than, let's say, Berkeley, Ca? In a word... Yes. And the reason why is that their seems to be an inherent sense of community in Austin. People here are just are just naturally nice to each other. Maybe it's because in the summer time it's just to damn hot to be anything else... I dunno. I do know that sense of community crosses over and even embraces the artist community. In town where the people could turn a cynical eye to all the tourists who are invading their city for one of the largest film/interactive/music festivals in the world, instead, with open arms, Austin-ites welcome us. Welcome me. Every single local I have met has had a generosity of spirit. Striking up conversations, giving directions and helping me out when I needed it. Their spirit inspired me to do the same. Unfortunately.

I walked into a mostly empty Hideout yesterday. I ordered my triple espresso, sat down, turned on my laptop and got to work. It was short lived. Crazy joe was at the counter asking the staff (it should be said they have always been nice and patient and cool) about where a show was being played. “Come on! No, I don't know the name of the band. They're from Belfast!”. The staff didn't know. Crazy Joe stomped off to the free publication area to try to find his band from Belfast who's name he couldn't remember but that everyone else should know who the are because they are from Belfast, dammit.

The free publication area is next to where I was sitting. Generosity of spirit, remember? I had the power of the almighty internet at my fingertips. I could help Crazy Joe. “Buddy, I could look it up for you online if you'd like”. Mistake. I would realize later that Crazy Joe was not from Austin. He was from Buffalo,Ny. He,therefore, was not cool. He was, in fact, crazy.

“Great” he said without even a hint of appreciation in his voice. He then plops himself down right next to me breaking all personal space boundaries. I've had one night stands that had more space between two people than he gave me. I quickly bring up the official SXSW site and start searching. Nothing. After a couple minutes I let Crazy Joe know that nothing is coming up on the site and, without the name, I'm not gonna be able to find the band.

Angrily, “It's a free show. They are not part of SXSW. Can I use your phone to check my messages?”

I had left my phone on the table and before I could say “sure” (generosity of spirit, remember?) he grabs my phone and begins to dial. When he is done listening to his messages, he, with great sincerity, asks if he could make a quick call. He was waiting on his application for some sort sociological internship. He had received a call from a professor and needed to call him right away. His phone was back at the hotel.

Generosity of spirit, remember. Also, he wasn't “Crazy Joe” yet. But it was coming. Actually, it was almost here. He gets on the phone and, while holding for his professor, I get his “deets”. Crazy Joe is from Buffalo. Crazy Joe has been everywhere. He worked raising money for the Kerry campaign of '04 in California and Florida. Crazy Joe says politics are F*****-up. Everything is screwed. We don't use enough solar power. The F***ers in charge should be overthrown and...
Okay, at this point I have to say I stopped listening. I love talking politics, but this guy was pontificating and his sermon started turning blue. I noticed that now there were more people in the the cafe... more children.

Then he started talking to the guy who was going to give him a job...or not. It went like this:

Angry tone. “Hello professor.... the thing that you have to understand is everything you are doing is F*****. You are considered a joke. The university is laughing at you. Yes, you make no sense. Yes. No. I can't work like that. You should do something more relevant. I just can't go back to Buffalo. No. I'm not being disrespectful. No I am not. I am telling you the F****** truth. You need to do more relevant work. F*** that!”

This goes on for another five minutes and I am feeling uncomfortable because people are starting look at the crazy guy on the phone. Then they start looking at the shmuck next to him... me. Then Crazy Joe screams “Right now! Yes or No, will you consider me for the job?! I am sitting next to a crazy person. This is when, in my mind, Joe transcended into Crazy Joe.

Btw, I think the professor's reply was “no F***ing way”. Just a guess.

Crazy Joe hands me back my phone (which now goes directly into my pocket). And begins to ask me a question. Like the professor, my inside voice says “no f***ing way”

“Good to meet you, dude. Gotta go see a movie. Hope it all works out” and I am out of there. Yes, Crazy Joe was so crazy that I just got up from my new home away from home and split.

Generosity of spirit can be a bitch. Which makes the people of Austin even more impressive. SXSW brings all sorts of crazy to their town and in their own way they embrace it, Crazy Joe and all.

No comments: